Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Catherine's Hamburger BBQ (Sloppy Joes)

When two people take a genuine interest in each other, a friendship is formed. I am so blessed to have a best friend. We have shared, literally, every detail of our lives, for the past 12 years, and yet we still love each other! Ha ha!

Seriously though, my best friend is an inspiration to me. While she battles Epilepsy and Grand Mal Seizures, that take a toll on her physically and mentally, she always rebounds! I don't know how she does it. She is such a fighter and never gives up. I admire her strength and determination.

Nowadays, our conversations are sparse, as she moved across the country. I miss our daily phone calls and interactions. It was during a telephone chat, she shared her family recipe for Catherine's Hamburger BBQ. You may know this recipe as Sloppy Joes. It was given to her, by her grandmother-in-law, Catherine. Her family recipe, is now my family recipe. I will treasure it, as I do our friendship.



This recipe is so good, that you can give up the canned Sloppy Joe mix for good! I promise you won't miss it. 



The original recipe calls for ground beef, but I have substituted lean ground turkey, that has been fortified with Kitchen Bouquet Browning & Seasoning Sauce. I simply mix the two ingredients, so the seasoning is incorporated into the meat. You can read about my post on, How To Make Ground Turkey Taste Like Ground Beef, by clicking the link. 


The ground beef  is cooked through, with onion, and green bell pepper (the bell pepper is optional). Then, any liquid that the meat gives off, is strained.


I find that the seasoning ingredients fit into a 1 cup measuring cup, just perfectly. 


That seasoning is stirred in, with the meat. 


And allowed to simmer for 15 minutes. 


Serve on your favorite bun, with your favorite side. This sandwich is, also, great with coleslaw piled on high!

CATHERINE'S HAMBURGER BBQ

INGREDIENTS:
1 Pound ground beef     - or -     1 Pound ground turkey, plus 1 Tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet      Browning & Seasoning Liquid
1 Small onion, diced
1 Small bell pepper, diced (optional)
1 Teaspoon kosher salt
1 Teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1/2 Cup ketchup

DIRECTIONS:
In a large sauce pan, on medium-high heat, cook meat with onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper. Strain any juices that come off the meat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring mixture up to a boil, then reduce heat, to medium-low. Allow mixture to simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite bun.  

2 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe for one of our favorite dishes.
    Did cut back a bit on the pepper, mustard, and vinegar for one of our "tender tasters" but the pan was empty in a hurry. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Putting this one in the recipe box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am thrilled you love the recipe. I will pass this on, to my friend.

    ReplyDelete