Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Beef Stroganoff

Beef Stroganoff. The mention of it brings up memories of a different time. I was a young, 17 year old newlywed, living in the Amish Country of Ohio. My husband and I were living with his brother. The men worked the oil fields. I only had one job, and that was making dinner. Fresh out of high school, I'm the first to admit, I didn't know much about anything. My brother-in-law's pantry consisted of convenience items. Among them were Stroganoff Hamburger Helper and instant mashed potatoes.

Recently, I thought I would make an attempt at replicating Hamburger Helper's Stroganoff recipe. I mean, I can cook. How hard can it be? I am happy to report, that this recipe is so tasty. After having the boxed stuff, last night, I was kind of surprised to find it on the bland side. Sorry Hamburger Helper, it's been a good ride, but I am going to make my own from now on.



You'll need a Dutch oven, or large skillet, with a tight fitting lid. Start by heating up some olive oil, on medium high heat. Saute button mushrooms, then set aside.

 

Using the same pan, crumble ground beef, and cook until browned. Drain grease. Return mushrooms to the pan.

*If you know me by now, I don't eat beef. This is ground turkey breast that has been fortified with Kitchen Bouquet.

I didn't want to name the recipe Turkey Stroganoff, because that doesn't sound appetizing.


Stir in Worcestershire sauce. Add flour, Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix, pepper, and salt; blending well. Stir in water and milk. Bring to a boil.


* While making this recipe, It was going the route of Beef and Noodles, with sour cream mixed it. It was good, but needed a little 'zing'. I poked around, in my spice cabinet; reaching for my home made Italian Dressing Mix. Wouldn't you know I was out. Then, this caught my eye. I started with, 1 tablespoon at a time, making my way up to 4 tablespoons in this recipe. The Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning and Salad Dressing Mix is key to this recipe.


Stir in noodles.


Reduce heat to medium low. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Stir noodles every 2-3 minutes, until noodles have softened; about 10 minutes.


Stir in sour cream. Heat thoroughly, over medium low heat.


Creamy Beef Stroganoff. The optimum in comfort food.


Nothing fancy going on here. I just serve the Stroganoff over mashed potatoes.


BEEF STROGANOFF

INGREDIENTS:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 Ounces button mushrooms, sliced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Pound ground beef - or - 1 Pound ground turkey (fortified with 1 Tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet Browning & Seasoning Sauce)
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons flour
4 Tablespoons Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
1 Teaspoon pepper
1/2 Teaspoon salt
2 Cups water
1 Cup milk
8 Ounces egg noodles
1 Cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS:
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, over medium high heat, in a large skillet, or Dutch Oven. Sauté mushrooms, until browned. Transfer mushrooms to a large bowl. Using the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, over medium high heat. Cook meat until is browned, and crumbled. Drain liquids. Add mushrooms to meat. Stir in Worcestershire sauce. Stir in flour, Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix, salt, and pepper. Add water and milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in egg noodles. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover skillet with a tight fitting lid. Cook until noodles are softened; stirring occasionally. It should take approximately 10 minutes for noodles to soften. Once noodles are softened, stir in sour cream. Heat thoroughly, over medium low heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment