Search This Blog

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Breaded Pork Tenderloins


BREADED PORK LOINS




Growing up in Northeast Kansas, the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich, was my all time favorite! I remember trips, across the river, to St. Joseph, Missouri. Dad and I would pick up Grandma, to stay the night. On the way home we would stop at Miller's Grill for tenderloins. Although Grandma loved a good tenderloin sandwich, she generally opted for the brain sandwich. I never worked up enough nerve to try a brain sandwich. I doubt I ever will.
Since I no longer live in the Midwest, I have to make my own Pork Tenderloin Sandwich.


You have options, as far as meat goes. When I had a large family at home. I would buy a whole pork loin, or whole tenderloin, then cut the loin into 1" chops. Since there are only two of us at home, I find it more convenient to purchase loin chops, provided they are on sale.


I flatten the chops, inside a plastic bag, using a mallet. The chops are flattened to about 1/4" thickness.

A dredging station is set up, consisting of:  flour, scrambled egg and cracker crumbs. Saltine or Ritz crackers are popular breading choices. I prefer the Saltine crackers.

Crush the crackers, inside a plastic bag, using a mallet.


Since I am going through the trouble to bread the tenderloins, I like to make a lot, then freeze for future use. Ritz crackers to the right, Saltine crackers to the left.


A simple pan fry is sufficient. Fry until golden brown, on both sides.


Then transfer to a griddle, where the cheese can melt, while the bun is toasting. I like to use a large sesame seed bun, or bolillo bun.


I like my tenderloin with cheese, glorified (lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles) and a side of fries!


BREADED PORK TENDERLOINS

PORK:
1 (7 to 9 pound) Whole pork loin
DREDGING BOWL 1:
1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Teaspoons pepper
DREDGING BOWL 2:
6 Eggs
1/2 Cup milk
DREDGING BOWL 3:
6 Sleeves Saltine or Ritz crackers (I prefer Saltines)

DIRECTIONS:
Remove fat and silver skin from outer edges of the whole pork loin. Cut across the loin, as if you were cutting pork chops. Chops should be about 1" in thickness. Flatten the chops to 1/4" thickness, using a meat mallet. Prepare 3 large bowls for dredging. Bowl 1: combine flour, salt and pepper; mix well. Bowl 2: whisk egg and milk. Bowl 3: crush crackers, inside a plastic bag, using a meat mallet. Dredge tenderloin in flour, egg and crackers. Lay freshly breaded tenderloins on a cookie sheet that has been lined with wax paper (to prevent sticking). Continue to stack tenderloins, layered with waxed paper. Freeze tenderloins until solid. Store in an airtight freezer bag. When you are ready to prepare, pull what you are going to use from the freezer. Pan fry in oil, or deep fry in a fryer, if you prefer. Makes a great sandwich with the usual hamburger style toppings.












2 comments:

  1. Miller's!! Wow, blast from the past. I lived outside of St Joe and a drive to Miller's was really a treat, back in '64. Those were The best sandwiches ever, but loved Maidrites too. Wish we could get them in MD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember having tenderloin sandwiches and brain sandwiches from Miller's Grill, there at the intersection of South Belt Hwy and Pear St. They were so good ... I liked the tenderloins a little better than the brain sandwiches. Wish they were still there.

    ReplyDelete