Search This Blog

Friday, May 4, 2018

Ambrosia

AMBROSIA 


A few years ago, I threw together a simple Ambrosia recipe. I just wanted to see if my family would like it. I used Cool Whip, and my mother-in-law was not having it! “It isn’t Ambrosia, unless you use real whipping cream!” I wasn’t about to argue with my mother-in-law; because she knows good Southern cooking. 

Next round I thought I’d step it up a notch, and use fresh fruit. Not a single person liked it, myself included.

Back to canned fruit, I went. Lord help me, I couldn't quit tinkering with the recipe. I got the notion to get fancy, and add the colorful, fruity, marshmallows. That's when I got cornered, in the kitchen, by my sister-in-law. “What’s up with the Ambrosia? Did you do something different? Even your daughter said it wasn’t right.” You know what they say about family, they are your toughest critics! 

They weren’t going for any changes. I gave up! I surrendered! Back to the original recipe. You will be happy to know, the last gathering, all went well, but not before the soon to be nephew asked if I made it the right way. 

There are so many lessons I learned from this: Never, I mean never argue with your mother-in-law. She is always right. Always use real whipping cream, when you can. Once you get the recipe right, don't go making changes, your family will never let you hear the end of it.



We are keeping the ingredients simple, and using heavy whipping cream.


Strain the juices. Make sure the cherries are chopped, and drained on a paper towel. (I save the juice from the oranges and pineapple, to make a fruit punch.)


Whip the heavy cream and sugar, until you get stiff peaks.


Stir in Greek yogurt, or sour cream.


Stir in remaining ingredients.


How easy is that?! "This Ambrosia is good ya'll!", says the California girl, in a Southern accent. Take it to your next get-together, but don't start any fights now, ya hear!


AMBROSIA

INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups heavy whipping cream
3 Tablespoons sugar
½ Cup plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream
1 (20 oz) Can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (15 oz) Can Mandarin oranges, drained
1 (14 oz) Jar Maraschino cherries, drained, patted dry, diced
1 (7 oz) Bag sweetened coconut
3 Cups miniature marshmallows
1 Banana, sliced (if desired)
1 Red delicious apple, chopped  (if desired)

DIRECTIONS:
Whip heavy cream and sugar, until light and fluffy. Stir in sour cream. Fold in remaining ingredients. Place in a large serving bowl. Cover with plastic. Keep refrigerated, until ready to serve.

  • Banana and apple may be added, as individually served. 

No comments:

Post a Comment