Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Orange Julius




Remember the Orange Julius? An icy, dairy based drink, with fruit juice blended in. Often sold at fairs and shopping malls during the 1980's, it was the precursor to the now popular smoothie.
 


I remember shopping, with my parents, at the Fashion Fair Mall. Mom would buy clothes she didn't need, while dad and I made a b line to the Orange Julius stand. As I recall, they only offered two flavors: strawberry and orange. We generally opted for orange.



In honor of the man who raised me, and to keep his memory alive, I have created my version of the Orange Julius. It is just as good as the icy treat you would get at the stand. I'm sure dad would give, this recipe, his stamp of approval!


Orange Julius

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 Cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon instant vanilla pudding mix
1 Tablespoon whipping cream
1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
8 Ice cubes

DIRECTIONS:
Juice oranges and put in a blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until ice is crushed.

* The magic bullet blender is perfect for making single servings.

VARIATIONS:
1 Cup strawberries
1 Cup crushed raspberries
1/2 Banana added to orange juice, strawberries or raspberries


1 comment:

  1. I want to to thank you for this good read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it.
    I have you bookmarked to check out new things you post…

    ReplyDelete