Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Granola

When I think of granola, I'm taken back to a family road trip on the central California coast. We are driving Hwy 1 and I am in the backseat munching on a box of granola, looking at the ocean, thinking this is the life! While I'm still a fan of granola, I am not a fan of store bought granola. I prefer to make my own. This is a simple recipe that I put together and have been making it for years.


The recipe starts with everyday pantry ingredients you probably have on hand: oats, flour, nuts, cinnamon, butter flakes, and brown sugar.


The dry ingredients get stirred around.


Oil and honey are added.


You want to make sure the dry and wet ingredients are combined well. I use my hands to mix. Gloves come in handy!


The granola is pressed into a 10 x 15" sheet pan.


Then baked at 350, until golden brown. Flip sections of granola, using a spatula, to help brown evenly. You will do 3 flips during the baking process.


Cool granola completely before storing.


Store in an airtight container.


Makes 1 1/4 pounds granola.


GRANOLA

INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups oatmeal
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1/4 Cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 Cup slivered almonds
1/4 Cup pecans, chopped
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon butter flakes
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
1/2 Cup honey

DIRECTIONS:
In a large mixing bowl combine: oatmeal, flour, walnuts, almonds, pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well. Stir in vegetable oil and honey, mixing well to combine. Pour granola into a 10 X 15" baking tray, pressing granola firmly into pan. Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip granola, with a spatula, a few times, to ensure even baking. Remove from oven and cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Makes 4 cups, or 1 1/4 pounds. 





No comments:

Post a Comment