Recipes

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Freezing Ground Meats

I am going to share with you my tips for freezing ground meats, quickly and efficiently.

 
I repackage the meat as soon as I bring it home from the store. The packaging, from the store, is not meant for long term storage. We can do better than that! I start by keeping the meat in it's package. The grocery bag will help to keep things tidy in the kitchen, and avoid contaminating the counters. I also like to use rubber gloves when cooking. It's my personal preference. Gather your supplies. The fastest way to do this is to have a large ice cream scoop at the ready.
 
 
Just scoop the meat onto a smooth baking sheet. This scoop yields 4 ounces of meat. I am using ground chicken. Other options would be: turkey, pork, beef or sausage.
 
 
If you have a burger press, use it! It is a great time saver. If you don't have one, no worries, just form each scoop of meat into a patty.
 
 
 
Freeze patties overnight. Then lift them from the baking sheet, using a spatula. This is why the baking sheet has to be smooth.
 
 
Shrink wrap the individually frozen pieces of meat. When you are ready to use, just take out what you need.
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment