Search This Blog

Friday, November 20, 2020

Cream of Wheat Bread (A Cornbread Alternative)

 

This is 2020, and the holidays are here. Thanksgiving is less than a week away. I have decided to cancel a family get together. It will be my husband and I, safe at home; with the dogs. Our first year not celebrating with our children, or grandchildren. It's quite depressing, if you think about it. Everyone's safety, is the priority.

My daughter, still wanting side dishes, offered to make the turkey, and we could exchange sides. I thought that seemed reasonable. An outdoor trade off. 

Then I remembered my son, saying he missed his grandmother's cornbread dressing. I thought, we may not be having a family celebration; but since I'm home, this would be a great project. Replicate Jarrene's cornbread dressing. 

As I began, this project, I remembered a conversation I had about her "cornbread" dressing. I complimented her. That's when she let me know it wasn't cornbread. Instead, it was Cream Of Wheat! I didn't give it much thought. Just tucked it, into the corner of my mind.

I needed to figure out the application. I made a bowl of cream of wheat, with broth, seasonings, vegetables, etc. It tasted good, but looked like cream of wheat. That wasn't it. I knew it had to be baked, like cornbread.

I used my recipe, and swapped the cornmeal, for Cream of Wheat. I also added yellow food coloring, for the visual. It tastes just like cornbread! Now I know, all those times we ate cornbead, at my mother in law's house, we were really eating Cream Of Wheat Bread. We had no idea! 

CREAM OF WHEAT BREAD

Ingredients:

1 Cup Cream Of Wheat

1 Cup flour

4 Teaspoons baking power

1 Teaspoon sugar

3/4 Teaspoon salt

1 Cup buttermilk

2 Eggs

1/4 Cup shortening

Yellow food coloring, to make bread look like cornbread


Directions:

Heat oven to 350. Grease an 9 X 13" baking dish; set aside. Mix dry ingredients. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and oil, to combine. Stir in a few drops of yellow food coloring, to give the look of cornbread. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until bread tests done, using a cake tester. Let cool. 

2 comments:

  1. I’m trying your recipe for the first time right now. It’s in the oven baking and I sure hope the family likes it. I’m trying to get away from cornmeal/corn products and I came across your recipe after chatting with a friend over the phone. She was telling me that, she doesn’t use cornmeal anymore, but uses farina or cream of wheat instead. I will let you know how it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let us know how your family liked it. I really like Cream Of Wheat Bread better than Cornbread.

    ReplyDelete