Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Boiled Apple Cider


Fall is around the corner, and it’s the perfect time for baking. I have a few recipes that require boiled cider. I prefer to get the first pressed apple cider, direct from the apple growers. Find apple grower that makes cider, you like. I happen to like a little tartness. The cider at Boa Vista Orchards, in Placerville California is my favorite. Second, is Gopher Glen Organic Apple Cider, in San Luis Obispo, California.

If you can’t find an orchard, that sells cider; Musselmann’s Fresh Pressed Apple Cider is amazing! It has the tartness I’m looking for. The fact that I didn’t have to drive several hours, to buy it; makes me happy.

All I’m doing is reducing the cider, from 1 gallon, to 1 quart. This will be concentrated 4 times; as 4 quarts makes 1 gallon. For my recipes this works great. 

If you want to make apple syrup; reduce it further. Do an 8 time reduction, to end up with 1 pint of apple syrup.

A cooking demonstration is available, by clicking this link.



BOILED APPLE CIDER

INGREDIENTS:
1 Gallon first pressed apple cider

DIRECTIONS:
Pour one gallon apple cider, in a large Dutch Oven. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium high heat. Place lid, tilted, on Dutch Oven. Continue a moderate boil, until cider has evaporated, to the correct measurement. Use a wooden measuring stick, to check levels. Makes 1 quart boiled cider.

MEASURING STICK:
Make a measuring stick, using a wooden skewer. Mark 1 inch increments, using a knife. Rub cinnamon into marks, so they are visible. Take note of the full cider line. That is your starting point. If you want to reduce by four; divide into fourths, using your measuring stick. 

            In my demonstration 1 gallon was measuring 4 inches (4 quarts is 1 gallon, so each 1” is a quart)
            Simply boil down the apple cider to the 1” mark, on the measuring stick.

            If I wanted to make a syrup, I would reduce by 8. I would boil the apple cider to 1/2”, using my 
            measuring stick.
              

     




No comments:

Post a Comment