Search This Blog

Friday, November 20, 2020

Jarrene's Holiday Dressing

My mother in law, Jarrene, passed away, several years ago. I accumulated several, family favorite recipes, of hers, over the years. However, this dressing was never written down. I asked her about the Cornbread Dressing, commenting how good it was. She did let me know that it was not cornbread. Instead, it was made out of Cream Of Wheat. Interesting! I would never have known, if she didn't tell me.

Jarrene couldn't tolerate the effects, that corn had on her system. It made her tired. So, it makes sense, that she found a cornbread alternative. I'll have you know (that was one of her sayings). (I must be channeling her now). She pulled a fast one on us! For all the times we thought we were eating cornbread, it was Cream Of Wheat Bread. You know what? It was good! We never knew. 

Once I figured out the faux cornbread component, of the dressing; I just needed to know how to bring it together. My mind went back to her. What style of cook was she? Who's recipes did she like? Paula Deen, suddenly came to mind. I searched Paula Deen's cornbread recipe. It looked just like my mother in laws! I knew that had to be it. I felt confident, to make Paula Deen's recipe, but use Cream Of Wheat Bread. I chose to use my cornbread recipe, and make the adjustment. You can find that recipe here: Cream Of Wheat Bread

Before you make Jarrene's Holiday Dressing, you will need to make the Turkey Stock. This recipe will require 7 cups! You can find that recipe here: Turkey Stock

JARRENE'S HOLIDAY DRESSING

Breads:
Cream Of Wheat Bread, chopped
7 Slices white bread, toasted, diced

1 Sleeve Saltine crackers, crushed


Seasonings:

2 Teaspoons salt

2 Teaspoons pepper

1 Tablespoon sage

1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning

 

Vegetables:

1 Cup butter

2 Cups celery, diced

1 Large onion, diced

1/2 Cup turkey neck meat, minced (optional)


Binder:

6 Large eggs, whisked

 

Stock:

7 Cups Turkey stock

 

Topping:

4 Tablespoons butter, sliced

 

To prepare Cream Of Wheat Bread:

Heat oven to 350. Grease an 8 X 8" baking dish; set aside. Mix dry ingredients. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, and oil, to combine. Stir in a few drops of yellow food coloring, to give the look of cornbread. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until bread tests done, using a cake tester. Let cool. 

 

To prepare breads: 

In a large roasting pan, crumble prepared Cream Of Wheat bread. Crumble toast. Crush saltines. Mix well. Mix in seasonings. Set aside.

 

To prepare vegetables and dressing:

Melt butter, in a large skillet, over medium high heat. Cook celery and onion, until translucent. Stir in turkey neck meat. Fold vegetables into crumbled bread mixture.  Add eggs, mixing well. Stir in stock. Mixture will be very loose. 

 

To bake:

Grease a 9 x 13" pan. Pour dressing mixture into prepared pan. Dot top of dressing with butter. Bake at 350, until dressing has baked through, 1:15 to 1:30 hours.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment