Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2024

Buttermilk Ice Cream

 

I’ve been making home churned ice cream, since 1990. My recipe started using Florene’s Ice Cream. It’s a great family recipe, that has lasted through many generations, and is going strong. I encourage you to visit that post, to pick up all the ice cream making tips, and a bit of nostalgia.

Some time ago, I found Florene’s Ice Cream to be too sweet for my liking. So, I changed things up. I reduced the amount of sugar by a third. Then, I added buttermilk, to give it brightness. 

Done are the days of making ice cream with raw eggs. I sanitize the egg shells before cracking. When I use my KitchenAid stand mixer, I beat the eggs and sugar to a ribbon stage. This is close to cooking the eggs, and most would stop there; but not me. I cook the base to 160-170 degrees, to ensure the mix is pasteurized, thereby reducing the risk of salmonella poisoning. When I use my Vitamix Ascent A3500 blender I don’t have to cook the mixture. It is a time saver.

My recipe is solid. My cooking method is stellar. The texture of the ice cream is thick, smooth, rich, and luxurious. These are all things hard to achieve, in home churned ice cream. A lot of thought, and effort went into this recipe, that I’ve used for years. Now is the right time, to share it with the world.

The texture, of this ice cream, tells you everything you need to know.

A YouTube demonstration is available, by clicking this link.


BUTTERMILK ICE CREAM

 

INGREDIENTS:

1 (12 ounce) Can evaporated milk

2 Cups sugar

6 Large eggs, shells washed, rinsed in cool water with a few drops bleach, rinsed well

6 Cups whole milk

1 Cup buttermilk

2 Cups heavy whipping cream

2 Teaspoons vanilla

 

DIRECTIONS USING VITAMIX ASCENT SERIES BLENDER:

Add evaporated milk, sugar, and eggs to 64 ounce blender container. Process on soup setting. The mixture will be hot and steamy. The egg mixture is now pasteurized, and considered food safe. Pour whole milk into egg mixture; then transfer to a gallon sized jug. Add remaining ingredients. Secure lid. Shake vigorously. Label jug, “Ice Cream Mix”. Ideally, Refrigerate 24 hours. Process in a 6 quart ice cream maker, as directed. Makes 6 quarts.

 

DIRECTIONS USING KITCHENAID MIXER:

Add sugar, and eggs to mixing bowl. Using the wire whisk, beat on high speed, until you achieve ribbon stage. The eggs will coat the back of a spoon. When you drag your finger through the eggs, you will see a defined streak. Stir in evaporated milk, to loosen the mixture. Transfer mixture to an Dutch Oven. Cook over medium high heat, stirring continually; to a temperature of 160-170. Let cool. Pour into a gallon sized jug. Add remaining ingredients. Secure lid. Shake vigorously. Label jug, “Ice Cream Mix”. Ideally, Refrigerate 24 hours. Process in a 6 quart ice cream maker, as directed. Makes 6 quarts.


No comments:

Post a Comment